Twenty-eight: Busy

The morning dawns and dishes need to be put away, laundry folded, a dog walked, breakfasts made, lunches packed and a car loaded for work. And so the day begins.  When I was a young woman, hellbent on enlightenment, I had a "spiritual practice".  I woke before the sun (as I do now), lit a candle on my meditation altar and sat, sometimes for hours, in contemplative silence.  I wore this "practice" like a badge of honor, as so many "spiritual" people do.  My life grew busier, crowded with children and obligations, still I protected these hours of solitudinous silence with fierce dedication.  It wasn't until much later, when I stood from my well worn zafu and took a long look at my life, that I discovered the obvious. Busy was my invitation and I'd almost missed it with all my striving after liberation.  Eyes open, feet on the ground, I go about my day cultivating as much awareness and kindness as I can.  I still light a candle when I wake up. Sometimes it's on my altar or the windowsill in my kitchen or beside the stove where I prepare food. I tend to my needs and the needs of those around me.  I go to work.  I interact with colleagues, families and students.  I grumble at the guy who cuts me off on the street and chuckle as I do.  Life is my practice and now words like "spiritual" rub me wrong.  They inevitably imply (as all words do) that there is an opposite to spiritual.  There isn't.  There's only a life tended to or overlooked, regardless life is this ever unfolding now and the practice is in the living of it.
Grateful for all my busy reminders to BE.

Comments